If a child needs an operation under general anaesthetic (where they are sent to sleep):
- At night, or
- At a weekend, or,
- They need to stay in hospital overnight
For the kinds of surgery listed below, they would go to Pinderfields General Hospital in Wakefield or Sheffield Children's Hospital.
- Ear, nose and throat (ENT)
- General surgery (for conditions usually of the abdomen/tummy - eg, appendicitis)
- Ophthalmology (for any condition of the eyes)
- Oral surgery (for any condition of the mouth or teeth)
- Orthopaedics (for any condition of the bones, muscles, nerves etc)
- Urology (for any condition of the groin, genitals or bladder)
Children's operations for these services would no longer be provided in:
- Rotherham hospitals.
Based on current numbers, this would affect 1 in every 10 children needing an operation in Barnsley, 1 in 16 children needing an operation in Chesterfield, 1 in 7 children needing an operation in Doncaster and 1 in 8 children needing an operation in Rotherham.